Supporting local businesses by locally sourcing your products and adventures is a great way to support community wellness. Local small businesses are the backbone of commerce in the community.
Secondly, supporting businesses run by diverse business owners can help promote equity and opportunity for people throughout the community. It is vital to support local businesses run by women and people of color to promote diversity in community commerce.
Want to learn more about how you can support local businesses wherever you go? Follow these tips when you’re on the road:
- Search for the items you are looking for online and add your destination name to see what comes up. For example – essential oils in Chattenooga, TN or fresh sandwiches in Bellingham, WA.
- Ask locals once you arrive, “where do you shop for…” Usually people will be happy to help you find what you are looking for with a local twist.
- Add the word “fresh” or “open now” or “nearby” to your search when you look for a place to eat or shop while traveling. Always check the ratings before you make a final decision.
- If you’re at an Air BnB or hotel, as the front desk where is the best local spot for whatever you are looking for.
- Walk, bike, or hike to the destination you are seeking. If you are traveling in a safe place to go by foot, you can find more local spots on your journey to your final destination. Be open to stopping along the way if time allows.